[alfa] Re: Help - Can't get rear door open!

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 21:21:08 -0000
From: "JOHN THACKER" <johnt@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] HELP CAN'T GET REAR DOOR OPEN!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I'm unable to unlock the rear door of my 75. I've used WD40 over several
days but no improvement. I can't fix it until I can get the door open.
Any ideas?

Bin there, done that.  In my case, the child safetylock tab was bumped to
mid-position.  When that happens, the door won't open from either the
inside or the outside nor will the powerlock actuate.  Frustrating but
you can fix it.

First, remove the rear bench seat.  Next, the inner door handle and then
the lock-pull (easy if later flip-top style, difficult with early style),
then remove the inner door panel.  Next remove the outer door handle; two
8mm hex nuts using a 1/4 drive socket with an extension.  Now you can see
the top of the latch mechanism from the outside via the handle hole.  By
wiggling the linkage on the top of the latch (not the actuator rods) you
should be able to get to where the latch will
release.

Graham L. Davis

'89 Milano Verde

St. Louis, MO