[alfa] Engine gasket sealant

In #1049 Dean Cains [under the subject heading: non Alfa issue (maybe
not)] talks about the overuse (as in too thick) of silicone sealant.
Most all engines I tear down have strings of the stuff stuck to the oil
pump pickup screen. How much if any gets by, dunno. However, it does
seem silly, if like myself you are quite anal about engine cleanliness,
then allow the silicone sealant to squish out - especially on the
interior engine side.

That said, the recent Alfa in the shop ('69 Spider) was reportedly
rebuilt fifteen years ago by Dave Vegher. However, the (black CA)
license tag shows the last date of registration was in '82.

While underneath the car, I noticed the oil pan was close to spotless -
but didn't appear as if it had been cleaned, just never got dirty /
leaked oil. Dave obviously used (a fair amount of) a hardening type
aviation type sealant. No, I would not like to have to remove the oil
pan, etc. but sure is nice to see a clean oil pan (for a change).

I'm thinking of going back to the stuff. Yes, it's quite ugly and not
all that easy to clean up the excess, but would like to have engine's
stay cleaner. Additionally, I doubt if most client's put more than a few
thousand miles per year on their cars.

My theory is silicone sealant is theoretically a very good sealant. The
theoretical part is that the 'exact' amount of sealant is applied, all
surfaces are perfectly clean and absolutely flat, all fasteners are kept
at the optimum torque at all times, and the engine does not expand or
contract. Once an engine glued together with silicone starts to leak, no
amount of tightening will help.

Thoughts? Also, you airplane guys, what sealant do you (or your
mechanic) use on your plane's engine?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA