[alfa] tensioners and buffers

>Subject: [alfa] Re: Alfa Bill - tensioners
>
>Sounds like you have a lot of experience with the tensioners ..... what is
>the life expectancy of the mechanical tensioner?   Why not also throw in your
>opinion of the belt life.

I use the same guidelines on all V6 motors. Change the belt and tensioner
every ~30 K. I've run an Alfa belt 40 K, but it's hardly worth the risk.
I've never seen a tensioner wear out but seen some noisy ones. I just toss
them at 30 K and redline without fear.

I've never had a failure, and hopefully won't be jinxed by this. ;o)

There are many good polishers on the market.
2 things are important.

*You can wreck a paint job with a high speed buffer in unskilled hands. Fast!*

Makita makes a brilliant soft start medium speed polisher, ~$200
Also the unique Cyclo 2 head polisher has a good reputation. Random pattern
heads reduce swirls.

Also, most rookies want the fastest cutting compound they can find... Bad
news.... I like 2000 grit wet sanding followed by a good high speed polish
with 3M Perfect It on a foam polish pad. Ultra mild abrasive and while you
may have to go over a panel twice, it is much more controllable and if it
goes through the paint, you didn't have any to begin with.

Brilliant gloss followed up with your favorite wax/glaze and it will look
like a wet surface! Also works great on those "other brand" clouded plastic
headlamps.

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA