[alfa] 87 Spider VVT troubleshoot

Hi Group:

How does one troubleshoot a non-operative VVT system, specifically on an '87 Spider? I can't see or hear the solenoid moving as the engine rpm's increase, although I'm assuming that I should. I've just replaced the fuse holder, also cleaned the contacts of the 3-wire connector on the solenoid leads. I've got 14.5v on the green/black wire, and the other two wires appear to be grounded, although I only checked with a continuity meter, not an ohmmeter.

I've only had this Spider about a year, and since it feels like it always has, I'm guessing the VVT hasn't worked since I've had the car. This is also the only Bosch Spider I've ever driven, and thus I have no point of reference to know how it should feel. So, what should I check? Does the VVT solenoid commonly fail? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's