From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Dean
W. Cains
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 2:30 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] 87 Spider VVT troubleshoot

Hi Group:

How does one troubleshoot a non-operative VVT system, specifically on an
'87 Spider?  I can't see or hear the solenoid moving as the engine rpm's
increase, although I'm assuming that I should.  I've just replaced the fuse
holder, also cleaned the contacts of the 3-wire connector on the solenoid
leads.  I've got 14.5v on the green/black wire, and the other two wires
appear to be grounded, although I only checked with a continuity meter, not
an ohmmeter.

I've only had this Spider about a year, and since it feels like it always
has, I'm guessing the VVT hasn't worked since I've had the car.  This is
also the only Bosch Spider I've ever driven, and thus I have no point of
reference to know how it should feel.  So, what should I check?  Does the
VVT solenoid commonly fail?  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's