Re:[alfa] Headlight Upgrades

Hi Steve:

While some US DOT-approved lights are better than others, none will outperform an E-code European headlight. It's not just the light output that matters, and beam pattern is much more critical to good performance. There are several readily-available brands to choose from; Cibie, Hella, Carello, and Bosch come to mind. But even those brands sell some US DOT-approved lights that should be avoided. Always choose a Euro market light that is "approved in the US for off-road use only". That's not a bad thing, for as you'll discover, Euro lights have a razor-sharp cutoff on the top edge of the low-beam, which avoids blinding oncoming drivers. The silly US DOT code specifies a good amount of light scatter up high, presumably to illuminate overhead highway signs, but it also plays havoc with other drivers.

I've owned them all and my preference are the Bosch H4's. Second choice are the Cibie, with the Hella a close third. I've got Hella on the '74 Spider and Bosch on the '87, and the Bosch high beams project a broader spread of light, while the low beams are very similar. Here's a good source for the Bosch lights:

http://www.busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118

Can anyone guess why the price from a VW parts vendor is so much cheaper than the prices from BMW or Porsche parts vendors? Bulbs aren't included and you're free to choose the H4 you prefer, but without upgrading the electrics on your Spider, a 55/60W would be the correct choice.

Biba, a fellow Digester, is a Cibie dealer, so you might want to check his site also:

http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSCibhl.html

If you'd like to learn more about the subject, go to:

http://lighting.mbz.org/

If you're looking for the all-time best 7" headlamps ever made, search for a set of Marchal Amplilux. They've gotten so rare and valuable that I'm afraid to mount the NOS set I have on either of the Spider's, but I know a few Euro suppliers for used or refurbished units at ~$400/pair.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & 87 Spider Veloce's