[alfa] Sperry Valve Works again

I was reluctant to put this out, concerning my experience with Sperry,
but Alfisti need to know that some machine shops are just not worth the
wait and lack of *assured* quality in the finished product.  Maybe some
people do get good service and good quality, but I know for sure that some
do not, me included!!!
First I had to wait about half a year to get my two liter Stage III head
from Sperry after the first head that he sent me had badly grooved cam
bearing surfaces and I had to send it back.  After I had returned the head
I spent additional months of waiting for the second head.  When it finally
arrived after much wrangling, Sperry failing to answer the phone or e-mails,
even
registered mail returned, I got a head that had valve seats not set in deep
enough
which required my Alfa shop to special order spacers for valve adjustment
and
they could not set my cams per spec because when they tried to, the valves
would touch the domes of the pistons, so now I have an engine that can not
be tuned to perfection and I will have to have my head re-done again if I
want
the performance that I was expecting.  Also one of my intake valves
continues
to spit because the valves were not lapped properly.
So if you use Sperry, go with your eyes wide open and expect a long wait and
uncertain quality.

Dan K.

BTW, I do use Italian, real Italian shops for this type of work and they are
almost always on time and on budget.