[alfa] Re: Digital Cameras

We have a Canon S10 we bought several years ago. I got it to document the process of restoring an old Honda CB350 - and it turned out to be an excellent investment for this purpose and for taking pictures of the kid to put on a web site for grandparents consumption. It was however slow, only 2mp (limited size prints) and small optical zoom.

We have just bought a DMC-FZ10 for my wife's birthday and we have been trying to get used to it since. Here are some impressions:

1. The optics are very nice when you get the shot right - but so far we have a lot more problems getting "every shot" to be right - maybe it is because the camera has a lot more options and capabilities compared to the old Canon and I think the wife got some of the options wrong - the manual is not very clear. Time will tell. I assume that if you have a lot of experience with manual, high-quality 35mm cameras - you will be OK. When we get the images just right - they are stunning.

2. The camera is physically bigger than some other digital cameras available - which is a bit of a bummer. It is not as small as an Olympus C-750 or Canon G5 for example - but it does have the image stabilizer which is a bonus. By comparison - the old S10 is tiny and can easily be thrown in a small pocket of a bag. No so with the Panasonic. It is surprisingly light for such a big body - I think it could benefit from some extra weight - but this is a matter of personal preference.

3. Ergonomically, I am not crazy about the placement of the zoom and despite the camera's larger physical shape - it feels a little cramped for me.

4. The camera requires a lens cap - which can not be tethered to the camera - so I expect it to be lost sooner or later (I know the wife will do it sooner or later. I am always looking for lens caps for her cameras).

We still have 2 weeks before we need to return it if we decide not to keep it - but I think that we will keep it. We got a good photography book and Camera World (A Ritz cameras company - where we got it) offer a free 18 class course as part of the deal - which we plan on taking to try and take advantage of the camera. I think that it has a lot of potential - and it is us that do not live up to what it can do.

Overall - I think that it is a great bargain for the money. I would go down to look at one and play with it at a store to see if it feels right for you. If not this, IMHO - the next step up is the Digital Rebel - but you are talking $999 entry fee here (or $899 if you already have the Canon lens).

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search.

Ron.