[alfa] Re: V6 Belt Tensioners

Brian Shorey wrote:

> I've also wondered why we had so many problems here in the states, yet
> overseas they hum along just fine with the original hydraulic tensioner.
> The fact is, the hydraulic ones are prone to leaking over here, and they
don't
> seem to leak overseas.

They leak over here too, and then you simply replace the seals, just like
you do with any other oil leak.

I cannot see the advantage of the mechanical device, especially given the
recommendation made by so many to change the mechanical tensioner at every
belt change. It doesn't take that much longer to rekit a hydraulic tensioner
after you've taken everything apart to change the timing belt anyway. And
you can do it at any temperature you like without fear of pistons and valves
getting intimate when you're not watching them (or even right in front of
you).

I'd be curious to know What did Fred had to say on the subject.

Merry Christmas all,

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
Brisbane, Australia