[alfa] Megasquirt

A couple of weeks ago, Luca sent the link to the B&G site regarding the
Megasquirt.   I replied that I already had one in progress.   Some emailed
me privately that they would like information on it.

I'm pleased to say the Spider ran on the Megasquirt today for the first
time.   It idled smoothly, all the sensor inputs on the PC were correct.
It revved a little and died.   The VE table I'm using is for a Milano 3.0 so
I'm not surprised it didn't run over idle.

Next weekend, I'll try it on the Milano.  It should run much better!

I built the MS board into the L-Jet box and wired all the sensors to the
L-Jet connector instead of using the Megasquirt enclosure and DB37
connector.   I just used colour coded wires from the L-Jet connector to the
holes where the DB37 solders to the board.  I can supply pictures and wiring
diagrams if anyone is interested or in the process of building.

There's no provision for the VVT right now.   As the Megasquirt is a
programmable unit with all the microcode open source, I have the choice of
either adding a few lines of MC68 code to control a pinout for the VVT
(Megasquirt already has tach signal obviously to drive the injection) or I
can switch to some higher performance cams and use the Megatune to tune them
out at low RPM to pass emissions (preferred).  The beauty of this system is
the number of installations all over the world.   Chances are whatever you
need, someone has already done it, can tell you how or send you code that
already does it.   All the tuning tools are open source and well supported.
It logs data as you drive to assist tuning and has a tool that takes the
logging data and spits out the proper tuning parameters for your car.   It
has some nice graphical displays so you can pull out the laptop and impress
people 'Fast and Furious' style.

Everything on the PC display checked out except the TPS.  L-Jet uses a
switch type throttle position switch rather than a throttle position sensor.
A 164 LS/Q TPS should work for both Spider and Milano applications.  TPS
showed either 0 or 100% because of the switch.  I'll have to go junkyard
hunting for a Bosch unit that will work.   (Thanks to John Fielding who
emailed me privately on a list of TPS' that should work and bolt up).

Feel free to email me directly with any questions or if you want more
information.   Please be as specific as possible.  This is pretty involved
so a general explanation is lengthy for me to type and you to read.    I'd
be glad to point anyone interested to the content on the web where they can
read to their hearts content about this system, it's assembly and
installation, it's tunablity and customization.

I approached this by first reading all the web info involved, comparing it
to the current L-Jet system I have, joining the Megasquirt Yahoo group and
read every word for a month, bought my kit and assembled it, read the group
for another 2 months focusing on installation, wired the board into the
L-Jet box and tested it, asked a few questions on the list and plugged it in
and ran it.

It's not as bad as it sounds.   It does take a while to learn but I promise
you'll know more about fuel and induction systems than you ever have before.
You'll walk away with a wealth of useful knowledge, and that L-Jet in the
trash where it belongs.

-Peter