[alfa] Digital camera for shooting Alfas

Hopefully Richard's out doing last minute shopping and this'll slip in
under his radar.

So I'm a snob, so sue me: I'm gearing this question to Very Serious
digital photographers who are familiar with the best 35 mm type cameras
(as opposed to 2.25 and 4x5).

I've sat on the sidelines and watched the digital camera revolution roll
on. Don't read about them, but sort of listen when someone mentions a
camera they like (for that moment in time).

My requirement is that I can grab it and take a quick and dirty shot of
perhaps a Spider's heater before stripping down, then progress snaps
(jpgs) as it is 'restored'. But I also want to be able to go to a car
show and photograph say a Zagato bodied Alfa, pour on the pixels, and
possibly have printed out in large format.

Nope can't afford a top of the line Nikon (or?) but saw a notice in Time
Mag. regarding the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 4-megapixel 12x optical-zoom
(one review said this is equivalent to a 420 mm - 35 mm lens) camera
with a Leica lens. Retail $600, street (at the moment $520+). It is
apparently a still camcorder.

What I really like is It Looks Like A Real Camera.

Nope, don't want to buy a used digital camera on eBay for the same
amount. Hopefully I've made my views clear as to what I feel the life
span of digital stuff is. I'd rather pay more up front and start at the
beginning of it's no doubt short life. Bet one could pull a Civil War
era camera out of a museum, then after finding film, take a very usable
image. Also bet the Lumix becomes a disposable (literally) camera in
seven to ten years - tops.

Obviously reply off digest.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA