[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1032 Mechanical tensioners

Digesti,

Mark Denovich has added a good description of the tensioner issues and
controversy to his WIKI site. While good, reputable Alfa businesses have had
success with selling or installing the mechanical tensioner, there is
irrefutable evidence of the broken spring issue. This, coupled with the
inadequate belt wrap on the right cylinder head cam drive wheel of a 12
valve V6, adds a certain risk to ownership of a GTV-6, Milano, or 164.

discussing is no different than low hanging oil sumps on 105/115 Alfas, less
than robust 2nd gear synchomesh, or any one of the other issues inherent
with owning Alfa Romeos. We love these cars, but they have certain problems,
and it doesn't do any good to make believe they don't exist. As John
Hertzman says of Alfas: "enjoy yours", and good luck.

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY
'76 Spider
'91 Spider Veloce