[alfa] V6 Belt Tensioners

What is it with you guys in the States? All this talk of the hydraulic
tensioners leaking and failing makes me wonder what the hell you guys do to
your cars over there. I have owned an Italian car workshop and owned Alfas for
years including 2 current V6 powered cars and have never encountered half the
problems you guys seem to have had. Both my current V6`s still run the
original hydraulic tensioner with never a problem and not a drop of oil
leaked. One car has 220000km`s on it , the other 155000. Neither has been
touched. They are however maintained well, both run synthetic oil and always
have done , plus I keep my engines clean including the shaft protruding from
the tensioner (just by high pressure garden hose). The cars are not babied
though with a regular thrash to 7000( rev cutout removed)
   The one thing you can say about Alfa is they are not weak mechanically,
they may have skipped on the trim and minor anciliary items re quality control
but never on the mechanicals. These cars were developed by great engineers and
were tested harshly. Do you really think the group of enthusiast engineers
(with very little regard to cost) would have let out of the factory an
inferior engine with a serious fault. How do you guys think the GTV6`s
obtained so many victories in touring car racing in Europe etc? I know having
been involved in one enterprise that the belt tensioners were left alone and
considered ultra reliable in fact the engine and the balance were considered
prime assets of the car-weight being its major issue. It is common for us here
in New Zealand to also follow the factory recommendation regarding belt change
interval unless the belt is contaminated(Corrosion inhibitor or oil). One
thing experience has taught me however is that the OE belts are definitely
stronger and I would NEVER install anything else. Quality does cost but it is
cheaper in the long run. Maybe guys your penny pinching caught up with you.

Richard Jones
Christchurch, New Zealand.