[alfa] GTV-6 daily driver

Our '86 GTV-6 is my daily driver. Our '91 164S is my wife's daily driver. Both are OK as daily drivers as long as you keep after the basic periodic maintenance issues particular to each car.

For instance, the GTV-6's TropicAire system works fine for me, keeps things cool enough even in the hot summer weather in Southern California, but some of the parts are hard to come by if you happen to need anything. With the stock exhaust it's not very noisy at all, although our dogs seem to know when I'm in the neighborhood. My wife doesn't like the steering when parallel parking, but for any person with the normal amount of upper body strength it's not a problem at any other time.

The 164S has other issues, such as the engine cooling system, but nothing that's insurmountable (except the @#$%^ flickering idiot lights). As an aside, after owning the car for a couple years we had a complete engine and front end rebuild that cost more than the car itself did (we're not the original owners), but we decided we liked the 164, and the price we paid for the car plus the cost of the rebuild is still less than what it would have cost to buy, say, a new VW Beetle (yuck).

The larger issue for both cars as daily drivers seems to me to be the availability of specific parts over the longer term. I don't know a lot about all of that, but good luck finding a window winder for a GTV-6 if you need one.

Charles Koster
San Gabriel, CA
1986 GTV-6 3.0S (mine)
1991 164S (hers) --