[alfa] GTV6 daily driver

I used a GTV6 as a daily driver for maybe a year. While my commute was
short (city streets only), I was driving East in the morning and West in
the evenng, so I was blinded by the sun twice daily. The steep rake of the
GTV6 windscreen, together with the somewhat feeble sun visors, didn't help.

When the engine is cold, the car is simply not happy. Depending on the
condition of your synchros, the 1-2 upshift getting away from a stop light
is always a teeth clencher, and will have other drivers on your back bumper
pounding their steering wheels in disgust.

Once I switched to the 164 it was like night and day. If your only criteria
is that you want an Alfa as a daily driver then picking the 164 over a GTV6
is a no-brainer. All things being equal, there was virtually no difference
in maintenance costs between the two. Save the GTV6 for a drive down the
coast. That's what it does best.

A couple years after getting the 164 I used a Milano Gold automatic as a
commuter. The elbow rest opens to a little cubby which can hold a tall cup
of coffee nicely.

Chris Robyn
SF Bay
'88 Milano Verde (non-commuter)