[alfa] Re: gtv6 as a daily driver?

I'm inclined to think that a GTV-6 makes a fine daily driver, although mine is the only running car I've ever owned, so I'm not sure how valid my opinion is. There are two perfectly good solutions to the tensioner problem, and I hope that I've just found the solution to the water pump issue. The manual steering requires some muscle at times, but I tend to notice it in parking lots, not in traffic. The caster can certainly be adjusted to reduce the steering effort, too. And of course you can retrofit a power steering system from a Milano if it really bothers you. A Milano compressor and hydrocarbon refrigerant makes the aircon work reasonably well, and I'm sure that an upgrade to '84-spec evaporators, etc. would make it work even better. My biggest complaint is that the outboard dash vents aren't tied into the climate control, so I can't use them to defrost the side windows. I also wish that it had a slightly larger trunk and a slightly smaller fuel tank. I'm not sure what would make a GTV-6 louder than any other car. I know mine is loud, but that was my intention when I selected exhaust components. New door seals and higher-quality tires made it a lot quieter than it used to be though. My car has been perfectly reliable over 4+ years and 35,000 miles of sometimes daily, sometimes infrequent use. I think dirty electrical connections are the weakest link in terms of reliability.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6

--On Friday, December 19, 2003 11:34 PM +0000 alfa-digest <owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided> wrote:

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:12:39 -0800 (PST)
From: danny P <robustful@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] gtv6 as a daily driver?

As I start to sell off my fleet of cars, I'm getting
down to my GTV-6 3.0 and a 164.  What I'm wondering is
how many of you use a gtv-6 for a daily driver?  What
are your experiences?  Is it practical and reliable?
I've heard that gtv6 are really noisy(to the point
where a nice stereo is wasteful since you won't be
able to hear it) and without power steering, is a pain
to navigate through city traffic as well as traffic
jams.  Poor a/c would make you think twice in the
summer. All this coupled with the availability of
low-grade water pumps and mechanical tensioners is
something to also consider.  I want to start budgeting
for the next year and don't want to pour all my money
into my gtv-6 to later find out that it doesn't serve
it's purpose.

Any feedback would be nice!!
Thanks,
Danny
83 gtv6 3.0
90 Honda Civic hatch(good for carrying lawnmowers)
91 164L x 2
Dallas, Texas