[alfa] Re: gtv6 as a daily driver?

> Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:12:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: danny P <robustful@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] gtv6 as a daily driver?
>
> As I start to sell off my fleet of cars, I'm getting
> down to my GTV-6 3.0 and a 164.  What I'm wondering is
> how many of you use a gtv-6 for a daily driver?

Owned mine for nearly 10yrs.  Used as a daily driver for the majority
of that time before it got rear-ended and I sold it.

> What are your experiences?  Is it practical and reliable?

Only towed once during the entire time I had it and that only because
it was dark and I couldn't see the recently mis-installed coil wire that
had fallen off.

> I've heard that gtv6 are really noisy(to the point
> where a nice stereo is wasteful since you won't be
> able to hear it)

Stock mufflers, no.  Stebro center and Ansa Sport rear, yes.

>and without power steering, is a pain
> to navigate through city traffic as well as traffic
> jams.

Depends on what you are used to.  It never bothered me.

> Poor a/c would make you think twice in the
> summer.

Depends on where you live.  In San Diego and Silicon Valley, it was
sufficient.

> All this coupled with the availability of
> low-grade water pumps and mechanical tensioners is
> something to also consider.

Water pumps typically aren't sudden and catastrophic.  Mine always gave
me ample warning before they failed and I often had enough time to plan
out the repair.  Tensioners... I wish I didn't replace my hydraulic one
which had Sperry upgraded seals.  A certain mechanic in San Diego claimed
it leaked.  I still doubt him to this day.

-Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA
No More Alfas