[alfa] Re: mech'l tensioners

Doug,
I have a couple questions and a couple comments. How many miles were on the
water pump when it failed? If it was getting close to needing replacement
perhaps it should have been checked/replaced earlier. When was the last time
the
timing belt was changed before this last one? Usually I just replace the water
pump at the same   time on my GTV6 since it's right there. Regarding IAP's
implied responsibility, I have this to say. Yes, it's frustrating that on a
new
part that was purchased and replaced something has gone wrong. However, if
memory serves me, there have been many stories of failed mechanical
tensioners.
Yes, it is arguable that IAP has some responsibility to be aware of quality of
product from their vendors, but they do not make the parts. I do not know what
the availability is of the OEM tensioner, but it was your choice to go with a
non-OEM item (yes, I'm aware that there is much debate about it's quality as
well). There are many items that can be replaced with little concern by
aftermarket suppliers. However, one always takes a risk with something not
built by
the factory as evidenced by the thread/debate/discussion regarding Milano
water
pumps. Also, the somewhat finicky nature of the older Alfa V-6 timing
belts/tensioners is well known.   What are your other two Alfas? I currently
own three
as well, and yes, they certainly can take more time, attention, and money to
keep on the road. However, is there a price that one can put on the experience
of driving an Alfa hard and being rewarded with the joyous music of either a
4 or 6 cyliner engine being wound out? In these days of watered-down,
homogenized products, isn't it worth some extra effort to imbue one's life
with a
little passion? Another thought is that the newest Alfa's we have access to
are
almost 9 years old. My newest car is almost 20 years old. Almost any older car
is going to require more maintenance and upkeep. One of the trade-offs for me
is that I don't have a car payment. I own all of my vehicles outright. Aside
from maintenance costs, I only have to worry about registration and insurance.
If you really don't feel you have enough time to spend on all three of your
Alfas, then sell one or two so you have more time to work on the remaining
one(s). If you feel so compelled to get rid of all your Alfa's, then at least
don't
buy boring shitboxes. There are many cars out there that can be rewarding to
own/drive according to one's taste. Just because you seem content to become
another "american drone" doesn't mean you have to make your car purchases
accordingly. I once owned a '92 Toyota Camry because it was the "smart
choice". It
almost killed me because it was such a souless, gutless, piece of crap. After
while of driving it, it annoyed me to even be in the thing. The one plus that
I can think of is that it had cruise control. Yes, it didn't require as much
attention. Yes, it was "practical", but it never made me smile, didn't ever
put
me in a euphoric state. Some people are content with an appliance for a car.
I, personally, am not. This being said, I have had my share of Alfa
frustration. I have loved them and hated them, have praised them and sworn at
them. It's
all part of ownership. The easiest path isn't always the best path, nor is it
the most rewarding.

-Josh
'71 1750 Berlina
'72 2000 Berlina (Moxy)
'84 GTV6

"...being the prudent sorta i guy i am, (?!?), i decided to have the t-belt &
mech'l tensioner replaced, since the tensioner had ~100k on it.  well, last
week the t-belt skipped, & i have at least two bent walves...  :<(  i know the
mechanic knows what he's doing, he's worked on alfas for at least 30 years,
and he's done a lot of these tensioners...  i wonder what iap, the parts
seller,
is gonna do about this...  but i don't wonder a *lot*...  :<(

looks like my alfa-owning days are numbered.  i am not sure how much longer i
can manage the time needed to constantly tinker on my two beloved alfas & on
the 164...  it seems every week i am spending a coupla hours working on
*someting* car-related...  i tink it's time to join the ranks of the rest of
the
american drones, & get a coupla new, boring, shitboxes...  :<(..."