[alfa] Re: mech'l tensioners

hi josh...

<"I have a couple questions and a couple comments. How many miles were on <the water pump when it failed? If it was getting close to needing <replacement perhaps it should have been checked/replaced earlier. When was <the last time the timing belt was changed before this last one? Usually I <just replace the water pump at the same time on my GTV6 since it's right <there."
not sure what how many miles on the hoh pump have anyting to do w/failure of the t-belt tensioner.  but, fwiw, the car has ~208k on it, & i never replaced the hoh pump since i got it, ~6.5 years ago, w/117k.  it had the mech'l tensioner installed awreddy, when i got the car.  t-belt was replaced ~15k miles ago, but i decided to get a new one & a new mech'l tensioner, since the hoh pump entails removal of the t-belt anyway...  and, hearing stories about the mech'l tensioners, i figured 100k+ miles is enuff to put on one, & i should get another.  looks like i shoulda yust kept the good one on there...

<"Regarding IAP's implied responsibility, I have this to say. Yes, it's <frustrating that on a new part that was purchased and replaced something <has gone wrong. However, if memory serves me, there have been many stories <of failed mechanical tensioners.  Yes, it is arguable that IAP has some <responsibility to be aware of quality of product from their vendors, but <they do not make the parts. I do not know what the availability is of the
<OEM tensioner, but it was your choice to go with a non-OEM item (yes, I'm <aware that there is much debate about it's quality as well). There are <many items that can be replaced with little concern by aftermarket <suppliers. However, one always takes a risk with something not built by <the factory as evidenced by the thread/debate/discussion regarding Milano <water pumps. Also, the somewhat finicky nature of the older Alfa V-6
<timing belts/tensioners is well known..."
===================================
the mech'l tensioner *is* an oem fiat/alfa part, even if not the original one that came w/the car.  it *is* the factory-authorized replacement part for n. american v6 alfas.  my mechanic (w/30+ years alfa experience) said the part he got from iap even came in a fiat/alfa box.  iap &/or fiat should make this right - whether or not they do is another story...

regarding my alfa's & new cars, well, my 1st exposure to alfas was back in '76.  i was all set to purchase a cherry '72 berlina, but the owner wouldn't agree to make right the terrible graunching noise when shifted into 2nd.  "they all do that" was his response, & he basically said it wasn't someting ya could fix.  so, it wasn't 'til '92 that i ended up w/a really nice '88 milano werde w/~40k miles on it.  it was on this car that i installed myself one of the earliest mech'l timing belt tensioners.  i sold it to a digester when it had ~145k on it - only cuz i found a great deal on another local werde - exact same car, color & everyting, even down to its lack of a sunroof.  only difference was it had only ~50k on it.  (mark denovich, the alfa wiki - is now the proud owner of my 1st werde...)  the werde i now own presently has a mech'l tensioner & ~110k on it.

my daily driver, an '86 gtwe6 has been hotted up w/lightened gears in a milano platinum lsd t/a, w/lock increased to 50%, shankle suspension w/zat shocks, 225-50-15 rubber on 15x8's, 3.0 w/s-cams & full stebro exhaust attached to sz hedders.  3.0 ecu...  (and a mech'l tensioner)  this is a fantastic driver in need of a new body.  i've had the inside front wheel wells repaired twice, a new spare tire bucket welded in, but time & weather are taking its toll. it's got so many li'l tings wrong w/it, i cannot begin to list 'em all. many of 'em have been repaired more than once.  i got this beast back in '95 w/~65k on it.  it now has ~185k on it.  my commute averages ~450 miles per week - the car would have even more miles on it, were it not for two motorcycles & a pantera that reside chez-sedon, as well as three alfas for two drivers...

as far as the foibles of buying a new car, well, all i can say is i am aware of them.  or perhaps not?  :>)  at 47, i have made it well into middle age w/o ever having purchased a new car.  i came close twice - in '86 i bought a nice red '84 two-door turbo-intercooled 240 wolwo; in '90, i bought a left-over dealer demo '89 suzuki swift gti...  the idea of buying someting new (or even close-to-new), is really painful - as i said before, i don't tink i could even afford a zx5 ford focus and a vw passat 1.8t, which would be the cheapest cars i could find even remotely acceptable - forget about the infiniti g35 coupe & sedan, which are cars i would really *like*...

regards,

doug s.,
'72 de tomaso pantera - 80k
'78 ducati darmah - 22k
'86 alfa gtwe6 3.0 - 185k
'88 alfa milano werde - 110k
'92 alfa 164L - 208k
'95 buell s2, 90rwhp - 35k

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until 3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.