[alfa] Stereo Upgrade

I installed the previous components in an '83 spider at one point:

Sony head unit
Boston Acoustic 5.5" (I can't remember the size exactly) in the footwells.
BA 1" tweaters in the door panel (the only concession to an otherwise non-invasive install)
BA 3" speakers positioned inside the outermost dash vents
4x50 amp and a crossover/equalizer in the trunk.

I never got around to installing a planned 10" in a fabricated parcel shelf but it turned out that I didn't need to because the above set-up was so spot on clear and perfect! Best sounding stereo I have heard in a while.

The in vent speakers were made by disconnecting the air hose from the rear of the vent and fabricating some wood plates to attach the speakers to and then slide over the rear of the vents. When sitting in the car the only speakers that you could see were the tweeters in the door panels. Your car is a bit different in that it has the speakers in the door and I'm not sure if they will give quite as clear a sound as those mounted in the footwell. The footwell location has incredibly good sound qualities since the speakers mount into a "box" formed by the body sheetmetal.

In the trunk I made a board that fit over the tank side (opposite batter) on which to mount the amp and crossover so as to not interfear with spare tire access. I contoured the sides of the board to fit in the trunk perfectly and carpeted it. In the end I just set it in there loosely because I didn't want to harm the trunk and it was a tight enough fit to do so.

When i sold the car I simply removed the vent speakers, re-connected the vents and removed the board with the amp/crossover from the trunk. I had to leave the footwell and door speakers since removing them would leave the car speakerless and with a hole in the door panel.

Tim Annett
Email: tim6@domain.elided