[alfa] Stereo Upgrade

My experience is with 70's era Spiders.. don't know what differences you may have in a 90's one..

The challenge of good sound in a convertable is a point well taken... It's never going to be great.
This can be a glass half empty, or half full thing.. since it won't be great due to wind and car noise, you can spend less money for what will be reasonable.

Spiders are tough also for the reason that they have few places at all for speakers, none of them great.

The Spiders I had years ago had sound, and one of them not bad sound for the era. What made it better, was some decent speakers in boxes in the back and about 25W per channel. (yeah, Ben, but that was POWER back about the time you were 3!!) ;-) Down side was compromising the behind the seats luggage area with the two speaker enclosures. I never did like that, and didn't duplicate it in the next Spider. Your type 4 Spider may be better (or not) amenable to something like this.
There's always building a box/shelf thing, that could house speakers, both adding cavity space (better for bass) and possibly a flat top saving some (shortened) luggage capability.

Overall, going for better quality speakers in your original positions that can handle high power without distortion, and getting a moderately big (for today, like 50-100W per channel) amp would be your best bet. If you could add a second set, even smaller ones, that could help fill out the sound.. Space them somewhat away from the mains. Separate tweeters might help, especially if you can adjust them to blend in better. You should place them pretty close to their mains, though.

I'm kind of thinking out loud, since I might want to do something to ours when she's back on the road. Haven't even heard what's in there, since the car was sold to me with a radio w/o the removable front panel, and a promise to get a replacement that was worth the paper it wasn't written on.

Oh, and a starting reference point for small amps, speakers and car audio stuff (they do a lot more) www.partsxpress.com, has a lot of things that might be easy to put under the dash or in the trunk.

Jon