Re: [alfa] Re: what if I want

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:04:00 -0500 Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided> wrote:

> At 8:23 PM +0000 12/9/03, alfa-digest wrote:
 >From: "Ev Micou" <mdg36@domain.elided>
> >INFINITE G 35....NOT SURE ABT THE 'ALL-ALLOY' ENGINE THO. ISN'T IRON AN
> >ALLOY?  EV

> I don't think iron is an alloy, since it's an element.  What I
> usually say is all-aluminum, but I wouldn't be opposed to an exotic
> magnesium valve cover or something.

this is horribly offtopic, but the pedant in me demands that i address
this.

cast iron is iron with more than 2% carbon. steel, by definition, is
iron with less than 2% carbon. in either case, we're not talking about
"pure iron", which is something that you'll never see in a manufactured
component. cast iron is every bit as much of an alloy as steel.

richard