RE: [alfa] Wing warping and modern cars

The funny thing is I'm a computer person by profession. :) I love the
gadgets, the toys, etc. I also want them to work right. And I get annoyed by
what I consider laziness.

Don't get me wrong - the older computers did a surprisingly good job for the
simplicity compared to modern monstrosities. My problem is that, like you
said, the technicians have come to rely upon them to the point of ignoring
basic training and instinct.

They can hear and feel an engine stumble as something causes it to miss --
yet, it must be normal because the computer says so. While an "old-timer"
might tell you to run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank, or stop buying
cheap no-name gas from the corner 7-11 and buy some quality gas, or adjust
the timing (if possible), or change a spark plug, or... You get the idea.

It's just like someone said somewhere else about programmers -- programmers
have been commoditized. Instead of appreciating the creative and often
artistic efforts that go into creating good programs, now it is acceptable
for "standards" and "processes" to create code that "simply" satisfies the
lowest common denominator of the requirements, never mind that it will
require a complete rewrite to add features later. The same is true of the
"real mechanics" (of which I most certainly am NOT). They have been
"commoditized" with the use of computers so that their skill in working with
the mechanical machines, and figuring things out in almost the same "black
magic" way a programmer creates a masterpiece program, is no longer
appreciated. If the computer says nothing is wrong, then nothing is wrong,
close everything up, no problem found, charge for an hour of "tear down and
inspection" labor, and move to the next car.

Ok, enough non-Alfa content. Now for some Alfa content. If things keep going
like they are, I'll have some money saved to take my spider in and have a
couple of things checked out and hopefully fixed. I'm really looking forward
to having the spider back for driving. I've missed that 1974 "work of art",
it's mechanical "computer" (SPICA), and the look on people's faces when this
lowly little yellow car takes off and either leaves them behind or prevents
them from leaving me behind despite their best efforts. Not to mention the
wind in my face and water on my feet (ok, so it leaks a little, I'm going to
fix it, really.). :)

Greg