[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1001

Dick Bevins opined:

"Can you imagine the cost of maintaining a 7 series BMW as the second or
third owner down the road?  Or a new Audi or Cadillac?  Makes
maintaining a 24 valve Alfa look like ox cart repairs."

My wife was maintaining a BMW 2002 through our first few years, when I
was running a '74 Berlina, through some later ones when I had the '60
Falcon. The Alfa was not as healthy a car as the 2002, but its required
parts were a good bit cheaper. With the Falcon, it was no contest: we
burned out starters in both care within a month of each other, and her
repairs ran to almost $300, while mine were around $85, WHICH INCLUDED A
SATURDAY NIGHT CROSS-TOWN WRECKER TOW!

The 2002 was a swell little car, no doubt about it, but DAMN it'd eat
your car-fixin' budget alive. I shudder to think what a 5 or 7 series
would cost to maintain...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA