[alfa] re: Wing warping and modern cars

At 5:47 AM +0000 12/9/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Dodge makes a SRT-4, Mitsubishi makes a Lancer, Mazda's got their
Protege and VW their Golf. The Ford Focus and Nissan Sentra also come
to mind. All of these cars are inexpensive, fun to drive, and
relatively simple. The SRT-4 even backfires like my spider! If you
don't like FWD, there's always the Mustang, Subaru 2.5 and Pontiac GTO.
The Mazda RX8 and (my choice) Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 also spring readily
to mind, as do the Saturn Ion Red Line and Lotus Elise. I'm sure I'm
missing a few, but my point remains that there are many cars to choose
from that are inexpensive and simple and fun to drive. I've driven 3/4
of these cars, and I am amazed at the leaps forward in quality on cheap
cars. In 1987, my Audi 4000 quattro was considered an expensive luxury
car. Now a base model VW Golf is more comfortable, better handling
(arguable, admittedly), faster, cleaner to run, cheaper to run (it
doesn't need premium), with better milage and a better sound system. It
will be safer in a wreck and I know that if I have a problem, I can
plug it into a computer and I'll know what's wrong.
What if I want...
RWD
DOHC
all-alloy engine
all-independent suspension
50/50 weight distribution
4+ seats
trunk
...?
Besides the DOHC issue, for which it obviously qualifies for an exception, the RX-8 would seem to qualify, and it is tempting. But to be honest, the Elise, the M3, and the 4200GT are the only contemporary cars (under $100k) that really appeal to me. One's not available here (yet), and the other two I couldn't really maintain myself, which not only makes them unaffordable even when they become cheap used cars, but takes away part of the reason I enjoy cars. Even the RX-8 comes with a bunch of fancy electronic crap, does it not?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6