[alfa] Wing warping and modern cars

Wright Bros wing warping was actually quite clever. Birds do it this way. Only mechanical limitations prevent humans from developing wings that work this way. Not anymore apparently as planes that change shape are under development. Anyway, all the aileron does is distort the aerodynamics of the wingtips as if the surfaces were warped. Sometimes the old ways were the best ways, we just got lost in our engineering brilliance.

By the by, submarines that change shape, as we now believe very fast sea creatures like tuna and dolphins can, are also under development. I'm reasonably sure that submarines with surfaces that morph with water pressure to reduce drag have been around for a while.

Mother nature knows best, as we discover time and time again.

As for modern cars carrying huge carry forward liabilities in the form of superfluous electronics on board, I concur. What is particularly distressing is that the top line models are the ones that carry this useless crapola. It used to be only that you had to accept the sunroof, leather interior, and power everything in order to get the hot engine and sport suspension, now you also have to opt for the "mandatory optional" central navigation/climate control/ stereo control interface with touch screen. Totally stupid way to control these ancillaries. Totally detracting from the driving experience we look for in our Alfa's and other interesting cars.

Human beings are being ignored in these decisions by automakers. It seems that if the gizmo fits the dashboard and looks hi tech it goes in. Whatever happened to climate controls that were intuitive to operate? And separate from the radio controls. Now you have to watch a TV screen and manipulate virtual controls to get what you want. A huge step backwards. Ergonomics anyone?

Steering wheel controls fall into this category also. Many modern cars put radio and cruise control buttons where the horn actuators should be. Steering wheels are for controlling the direction of the vehicle, the horn belongs there for emergency purposes, it is never an emergency to tune the radio or set the cruise speed.

Finally, out West we need sat nav like a hole in the head. Basically there are two highways that pass through my City of 1 million residents. One goes North South and the other goes East West. If you get lost here you shouldn't be driving. Pick a highway that goes in the approximate direction you think you want and you can only be 90 degrees off or 180! I don't need a $1,000 DVD player and $200 DVD to show me where I am. I might need a $5 paper map like I did in 1970 (didn't they used to be FREE!).

Rant over. Alfa content? You do realize what FIAT intends to try and sell here don't you? The top end models with AC/climate control, leather interiors (stupid modern trend to use leather for car upholstery when synthetic fibre is so durable and comfortable) sun roof, nav systems, top line stereos, and big price tags. What we need and will buy, they won't bring over because the margins are too small per vehicle. Same reason they failed the last two times they were here. Makes you want to weep and beat your head.....

I'm about ready to give up and buy a Mazda, except I see that the new Mazdas are equipped with...... unless you buy a baseline model that wouldn't excite anyone interested in driving.

Rant now over.

Cheers
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L