Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:56:39 -0800
From: Sam Kass <samkass@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] oil back-pressure

I took my Alfa out aiming for a good drive today-- the first one
(besides to work and back) since changing all the fluids.  I opened it
up on the freeway and all of the sudden smelled a burning smell.  When
I drove to a parking lot and opened the hood, the dipstick was out as
far as the hood would let it, and there was oil soaking anything within
a 1 foot radius of it.  I pushed the dipstick back in, drove home
conservatively, and opened it up again.  Same thing.
What could be pushing the oil up the dipstick pipe?!  I thought the
oil pump was basically suction OUT of the oil pan and that, if
anything, the dipstick would be pulled inward.  I asked Mark, and he
suggested possibly a clogged oil vapor separator (mine is in bad shape,
so this could easily be it,) or a broken compression ring.
Thoughts?
--Sam Kass
'87 Graduate