[alfa] oil back-pressure

I took my Alfa out aiming for a good drive today-- the first one (besides to work and back) since changing all the fluids. I opened it up on the freeway and all of the sudden smelled a burning smell. When I drove to a parking lot and opened the hood, the dipstick was out as far as the hood would let it, and there was oil soaking anything within a 1 foot radius of it. I pushed the dipstick back in, drove home conservatively, and opened it up again. Same thing.
What could be pushing the oil up the dipstick pipe?! I thought the oil pump was basically suction OUT of the oil pan and that, if anything, the dipstick would be pulled inward. I asked Mark, and he suggested possibly a clogged oil vapor separator (mine is in bad shape, so this could easily be it,) or a broken compression ring.
Thoughts?
--Sam Kass
'87 Graduate