Re: [alfa] Replacing Transmission Mount 74 Spider and Protecting New One

Here is a reprint of a tranny mount replacement procedure I sent to the list a little over 5 years ago. The mount seems to still be in good shape. I replaced the engine mounts soon afterward. I think the life of the tranny mount is somewhat dependent on the condition of the engine mounts. If oil is getting on the rubber, see about fixing the source of the leak:

Not necessary to remove the tranny from the car. With a bit of imaginative shopping you can fashion an inexpensive "press" from a length of allthread rod, some washers, nuts, and a short section of pipe, or in this case, a PVC plumbing adapter. The entire process was not too painful and made a huge difference in the feel of the car; shifting, take off, braking, bumps, backing uphill, etc. are all now much smoother and solid. ***Please take sufficient time and care to secure the car solidly on strong jackstands before crawling under the car.***

What follows is a more detailed description. A big thanks to Bob Brady who initially shared his description of the hardware and process.

O found a PVC adapter at a local "More of Everything" hardware store. One side was threaded internally, the other was not. The numbers on the end of it say "COLONIAL U.S.A. D-2466 SCH 40 PVC-1 CAV. A 2-1/2" NSF-PW". It was approx. 5" long X 3-5/16" od x 2-7/8"id (smooth end) x 2-5/8"id (threaded end). I believe it was intended for mating iron (galvanized?) pipe to a PVC section. I chose it with replacement tranny mount bushing in hand-- the i.d. of this adapter was just slightly larger than the o.d. of the bushing. I knew the bushing could easily pass thru this "receiver" and the receiver had enough meat on the non-threaded end to butt up solid against the tranny housing, and enough meat on the threaded end to hold the largest washer solid. Didn't need to hone out the inside like Bob Brady did, but I did cut off a 1-1/2" off of the threaded end (easy to cut PVC w/ a hacksaw!) because it didn't actually need to be that long (needs to be only slightly longer than the width of the bushing) and I needed the extra manuverability because the master cylinder on my car is right down there by the side of the tranny mount which makes it a little tight. In fact, unlike Bob, I removed the bushing towards the passenger side for this reason.

The other parts were a 1 ft. section of 1/2"allthread rod, 3 nuts (two for double-nutting one side, the other for squeeze action), various washers, the most important ones being large enough to cover the threaded end of the PVC receiver (3"od x 1-3/8"id x 3/16" thick), and the other one (2-1/2"od x 1-1/16" id x 3/16" thick) just slightly smaller than the tranny housing (again I used the replacement bushing to find a suitable size.) Buy two of each and stack them together to give extra strength-- I just noticed mine bent a little. Since these washers had large center holes, I bought smaller ones to stack to give the nuts a good seating. The large center holes actually helped because you'll notice the inner hole of the bushing is offset, and this gave me adequate play.

Raised the rear of the car and secured it until I was satisfied with jackstands.

I dropped the tranny crossmember by removing the four 13mm bolts (buy replacements! Bob warned me about this but I ignored it until closing it all back up-- snapped two-- luckily got the remains out easy but it meant another unnecesssary triip to the HW store.) and the two 13mm nuts for the front driveshaft section bearing. This let the rear of the tranny down far enough to work.

Removed the bushing's thru bolt, set aside the tranny x-member, and arranged the receiver and assorted washers and allthread rod and started wrenching. The washers dished, the nut got difficult to turn; I thought something was going to break, but kept at it. Sure enough, the bushing moved slightly, not with a snap or a bang, but a subtle release. From there it was easier but tedious wrenching until it was out.

I kept the replacement bushing in the freezer overnight but it still didn't "just slip in." BTW the large open gap in the bushing goes toward the top-- the inner metal tube where the thru bolt goes sits offset more toward the bottom. When mounted, the tranny's weight will push down on the outer section, making the inner steel tube end up almost in the center of the circle.

Tried reversing the operation to press the repl. bushing in but managed to lodge it in there crooked. The new one's rubber was in much better shape (the offset was still intact) and I couldn't get the allthread rod centered enough to get a square push. That's when I had to use the propane torch lightly on the aluminum tranny housing, then it was easy to hammer it in straight with a block of wood.

Buttoned it back up the reverse of the disassembly steps.

Took about three hours, not counting the shopping, or the busted crossmember mounting bolts extraction.

You would not believe the difference! The car is a thousand times more comfortable!

--Caxambu
1969 Spider Veloce
Seattle WA