[alfa] Replacing Transmission Mount 74 Spider and Protecting New One

Can someone instruct me on replacing my transmission mount? Also, how can I protect the rubber on the new one to keep it from deteriorating?

The last is an interesting question. I have wondered about how useful using some kind of Silicone spray or grease to seal the surface of rubber parts. It seems likely that if you could seal the surface from oil, ozone, and other deteriorants.. you'ld get a longer life.

How practial this is, I have no idea.. Some (most?) wear is probably from fatigue, anyway..
Anyone try this approach, and how well did it work?

On replacing, I am about to do this myself.. Skip made a post about a year ago covering spring removal tools, as well as a tranny bushing pusher.. My contribution to the art is that instead of making giant, thick 3" washers out of 1/4" stock, I found what is called a floor flange for water pipe. (used for making railings?) Two 1/2" ones provide the needed big, thick washer, the hole is covered with 7/8" to 5/8" to 3/8" washers.. (used 3/8" because it was handy from my front spring removal jig)

2" schedule 40 steel water pipe is perfect as the pusher, having it cut with a standard pipe cutter (wheel type) produces a internal flare that makes it fit the bushing even better, though you probably want to grind it more flat on the flange (washer) side. I got a 2 1/2" long piece.

I still am needing to obtain a reciever piece of pipe of the right size.. 2 1/2" water pipe is just a bit too small in the ID to take the bushing, and 3" will have too much OD to fit on the tranny bushing ring. I have been told that there is a 2 7/8" chain link fence pipe size that is about 2.594" ID with the 2.875 OD.. (chain link pipe is measured by the OD, opposite from water pipe on the ID) That should be perfect.. but I haven't verified it yet, too late on a Friday..

I'll post my results on size, fit and function when I get the other pipe piece, and press that bushing.

Jon
77 Spider