Re: [alfa] Timing chain adjustment?

With the timing cover off, car NOT running and the tensioner bolt loose, I use the following approach:

... take all the slack out of the timing chain system by rotating the intake cam counterclockwise (when looking at from in front of the vehicle).  This take all slack out of the system.  You only need to rotate it enough to pull all the slack out from the chain-  30 degrees or less.  Then, make sure the tensioner is pushing against the chain.  SOmetime I use a large screwdriver as a prybar to apply a small amount of pressure.  Then, remove the screwdriver (i.e. take the pressure off) and tighten the tensioner bolt.  This works well.  If it still ticks, you have another problem!

- --
- - Jason Hage

Already good comments coming in on this staple technique.. Checking for the tensioner tab and functional nipple on the bolt is good as well.. but be careful in putting it back in, since it can be easy to have it bump out of the way when screwing the bolt back in. Make sure it went in the same distance that it came out (tight should have 1 1/2 to 2 turns of thread showing) rather than farther in.
Missing parts are available at the usual parts sources.

I have heard that the spring can get soft, or the slide gets sticky.. some press a little force on the wheel while tightening, to help the tensioner spring.. but be careful here. You don't want to overtighten. I think that slack around 1/16" to 1/8" (up and down) inbetween the cams is about right, this is off the top of my head, you want to check this elsewhere..

Basically, check the up down slack after you do a no extra pressure tension and see if it seems loose or not, and add a little pressure if it is.

Jon
77 Spider
Irvine, Ca