RE: [alfa] Transaxle driveshaft

At 7:01 PM +0000 12/4/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Carson asked:
"Is it possible to uncouple the driveshaft at the transmission yoke
without lowering the front of the transmission?"

'Fraid not.  You need some movement of something in order to get the
driveshaft flange of the studs that protrude from the yoke.  And that
movement can only be found by lowering the transaxle crossmember.  It would
be fine if you could drop it from the engine end first, but there, on a four
cylinder certainly, and if I recall correctly on the six also, there is a
'bellhousing' of sorts that the driveshaft needs to be pulled out of, in the
direction of the rear of the car.
Whoops. No one told me that when I replaced my rear giubo in the spring of '99. I just yanked on it hard enough and it came off.

In all seriousness, I don't think there are any studs, at least not on a GTV-6. All six fasteners are bolts that can be removed, leaving only the centering bushing in the way. The flexibility of the giubos is enough to get around that bushing. And I was just doing what a respected Alfa mechanic told me to do...

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6