[alfa] Flexible flyers

Yeah, I like to resurrect oldies but goodies from time-to-time.

What triggered my resurrection (so to speak) is a comment about the
Maserati Spyder (don't they know - German's get a y Italian's get an i
- yes, I'm aware in the fifties / early sixties Alfa switched back and
forth between spellings) in the 12/08/03 issue of AutoWeek: "The
Maserati, however, produces so much cowl shake as to render the rearview
mirror virtually worthless."

One would think they'd have it figured out by now. True, that tin top
does more than just keep the rain off but still...

What I'm wondering is if anyone has - this is just a for instance - had
to cut out rust around the cowl area and perhaps the rockers and decided
to not only replace sheet metal but fabricate bracing?

Two caveats to the question, I'm not talking about adding racing roll
cages, etc. but bracing within the bodywork which can't be seen once
'stock' sheet metal is welded back And am assuming it did stiffen up the
cowl, etc.

No, I don't have an occasion, at least not at this time, to make drastic
changes to a Spider, but, yes, I am sort of asking you to at least
verbally act as a R & D guy - if you don't mind sharing.

Should you have taken photos along the way, I for one would love to see
them.

I've always felt some beefy steel tubes in the rocker panels might be a
good start, but have never worked out where / what one would tie them
to. While rather trendy, but good trendy, one could fabricate a strong,
double humped (one for each the driver and passenger), street roll bar
near the rear which might make a good place to tie-in the rocker tubes,
but not sure about the front.

While a bit bizarre I've wondered about the feasibility of running two
strong but thin tubes down each side of the center tunnel and around the
transmission hump and tying in to the firewall and the vertical rear
panel behind the seats. This would of course be on the inside of the car
and would show. There should be horizontal bracing every 18" or so to
tie the tubes to the tunnel. True, there's not much room on the inside
of the passenger's seat and one would have to make sure it didn't
interfere with the driver's right foot.

Since it's looking more and more like whatever Alfas are in the U.S. are
pretty much it, why not just restore all of what we do have (including
Berlina's and Alfetta's) but make them better than new?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

(Alfa uber alles)