Re: [alfa] Timing chain adjustment?

With the timing cover off, car NOT running and the tensioner bolt loose, I use the following approach:

... take all the slack out of the timing chain system by rotating the intake cam counterclockwise (when looking at from in front of the vehicle).  This take all slack out of the system.  You only need to rotate it enough to pull all the slack out from the chain-  30 degrees or less.  Then, make sure the tensioner is pushing against the chain.  SOmetime I use a large screwdriver as a prybar to apply a small amount of pressure.  Then, remove the screwdriver (i.e. take the pressure off) and tighten the tensioner bolt.  This works well.  If it still ticks, you have another problem!

--
- Jason Hagen
Chicago, IL