[alfa] Timing chain adjustment?

Hello digesti,
I am looking for advice/information for a problem
I am having with my '72 Berlina with 2L Spica engine.
I am experiencing a ticking noise that my mechanic
told me was due to a loose timing chain, and that
it was relatively easy to adjust the tension of said
chain. I took off the valve cover, loosened the
tensioner bolt on the front of the block, pushed down
on the chain until it moved, rotated the engine by
putting the car in 5th gear and pushing it forward until
the slack was taken up, then tightened the bolt back up.
The tick was gone initially while idling, but came back
shortly after I began driving (about 2-5 minutes). I
repeated the above procedure with the same result. Is
there a step (or steps) I have forgotten? Is it possible
that the tensioner either is going or has gone bad? Any
help would be much appreciated. I don't think it is related,
but I believe the thermostatic actuator is going south
since the car now idles between 1200-1500rpm even when
warm. I don't think this would affect anything, but wanted
to mention it. Thanks in advance.

-Josh
'71 1750 Berlina
'72 2000 Berlina (Moxy, ticking impatiently)
'84 GTV6