[alfa] Alfa 33 buying advice sought.

>>1: which is better/more fun? Off hand I'd say the 1.7 L IE but are
there any gems lying around?<<

Most fun is the P4, but they are not common

>>2: what should I look for? Where does it rot? How does the engine break
and how do I find the signs?<<

Basically reliable. Bearings go in the front struts (same parts on the
164).
Gear sticks vibrate. Boots fail to open. Clutches last about 130000km.
2nd gear synchro is not long lived. Rust in the inside panel at
the back (covered by a black plastic moulding). Speedos die. Seats
collapse. Water pumps have a good life but are pigs to change.

>>3: any other bits of BTDT magic? I know it should have its belts
changed every so many kms and I suppose that's something to ask for
documentation of. Is it hard to do yourself if need be?<<

8V belts are easy to do yourself. 16V are more difficult. Alfa recommend
every 48000 miles, most people change them at 36000 miles. On the 16V
replace the rollers at the same time.

>>In general terms - let me have your good and bad on the 33 so I can
make a good choice.<<

Fun small light cars with very revvy engine. Check out:-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/?go_to=disc

All the best

Keith