[alfa] Alfa 33 buying advice sought.

Digestibles.

So I find myself looking for YAAR. I need a daily driver and seeing as the 33 is VERY accessible over here I am considering one of those. Now, the 164 can be had for reasonable money too, but it's simply too big and too complex I fear. The 75 is also to be had for little money, but it is also quite a bit more desirable and I fear that for the money I am going to spend, they might be complete and utter basket cases.

Consequently I am seeking the advice of the EU, AU, NZ. ZA (or rather - all non-US and Canada) digestibles who have experience/knowledge of these vehicles. So a few questions:

1: which is better/more fun? Off hand I'd say the 1.7 L IE but are there any gems lying around?

2: what should I look for? Where does it rot? How does the engine break and how do I find the signs?

3: any other bits of BTDT magic? I know it should have its belts changed every so many kms and I suppose that's something to ask for documentation of. Is it hard to do yourself if need be?

In general terms - let me have your good and bad on the 33 so I can make a good choice.

TIA

Jacob Haagerup,
Rotterdam, Netherlands
1975 GT 1600 Jr. M 1.8, Fiat 500 L, Nissan Micra March 1.0 (yuk - that's what's on its way out)