[alfa] Electrical Question - NAC

Sorry about the lack of Alfa content, but I'm afraid the only experience with
electrical engineering I have had was when I was about three years old and
stuck a hairpin into a wall socket. Suffice to say, I know virtually nothing
about the subject so have a question for the better educated Digesti.

Taking welders, for example. Is there any way to tell how many
watts/kilowatts a unit uses by looking at the specifications? In this case the welder works
on 230 volts and draws 180 amps.  I'd like to know how much it would cost to
operate the bugger, however my electrical knowledge is limited to the extent of
knowing that a 100 watt light bulb uses 1 kWh when lit for 10 hours. Reply
off-Digest if you wish.

TIA,
John Thompson
Sylmar, CA