I think the functioning of the idle o-ring is at least partially determined by the tightness of the throttle plates within the throttle bodies. Both of those parts can wear, as well as the shafts and shaft bushings, and it doesn't take much of an air leak to supply the idle needs of the engine. So, if the majority of the idle air is coming through the o-ring, as it's supposed to, it works pretty well. I cut 1/2" x 2" strips of legal pad paper, and use them as feeler gauges to adjust the throttle plate to body clearance, and that seems to get them close enough. That's the ideal case, and while it's nice when that happens, it won't make any difference with the throttles open, and that's where they should be most of the time in an Alfa.

Regards,

Dean

At 06:26 PM 11/24/2003, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:51:30 -0600
From: <roadtrip999@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: Spica Idle adjust O-ring

The SPICA idle air adjustment (idle speed) is notorious for being almost
worthless. You're old ring is probably rock hard and britte, but don't expect
a new O-Ring to do much good. Usually the engines idle slow (700 rpm) and
cannot be adjusted upward very much, if at all, using the standard adjuster.
Just a poor Rube-Goldberg design.