[alfa] Re: Bleeding air out of the radiator, etc.

Biba,

You wrote about getting air out of the cooling system in your '75 Alfetta GT
(which you didn't mention, but we all know it well by now <grin>).

Seems you have a full system, as measured b the radiator level being at the
cap, and cannot get the waterpump bleed screw to leak coolant when loose. Also,
the radiator-to-reservoir-bottle hose never appears 'full' of coolant and you
suspect that part of the system is not performing to spec.

The latter problem first - If the radiator cap has not been replaced in the
last six years, get a new one as soon as convenient. The vent portion of the
cap ma not be functioning properly. -Or- you *may* just be really lucky in
getting air in hoses to stay around ... your carb-to-carb hose never fills either,
does it?

OK, to the more serious question - How long has the waterpump been on the
car? Have you removed the waterpump bolt completely to bleed the system, or just
loosened it a few turns? It could be built up crud (technical term) sealing
the threads really well.

How was your temp gauge when you took the car out for the test run? Sitting
where it should be? All seemed OK? What's the temp outside right now? What's
the predicted temp for tomorrow?

Try the above. If you're still concerned about cutting out (I don't buy the
partial seize theory, our car would be a single piece of metal by now with all
the cutting out that's happened. <grin, again>), drive to said visit in the
early dawn (coolest time) hours. There's always a diner w/ hot coffee that's
open somewhere nearby.

Best I can offer this late at night. Have you considered the possibility that
the Alfetta is telling you the current configuration goes against god and
nature and that you should reinstall the SPICA? Just a thought ...

Tom
Seattle (the perfect place to visit in the summer - freezing, literally,
right now)
6310123
7711615