[alfa] Re: Peculiar OZ Alfa light brackets for Alfetta's

People are wondering what the other guy has (typical, eh?) and can't figure
out the difference in lighting systems.

My understanding of the explanation that came up recently is that Alfa had
one set of headlight mounting on the Alfettas for the USA and a different set
for the rest of the world. The USA version allowed the installation of the
standard 5.75 inch bulbs/lights/POS things that were certified for use (but useless
once the sun went down) in the USA. European standard sized lamps (Cibie,
Hella, etc.) fit nicely and improved night illumination measurably.

The 'rest of the world' version got Alfa-only proprietary lights/bulbs.

The two assemblies were interchangeable. That is to say, the 'rest of the
world' version could be removed and a USA version installed without modification
to the chassis. Or, the other way around, as desired.

The Aussies, having gotten the 'rest of the world' version and finding Alfa
no longer provides the proprietary lights for anything resembling reasonable
costs, often look for USA version mounts and Euro-style replacement lamps. Of
course, they want to source the lamps from former British Empire locations (was
Japan ever part of the B.E.?) due to the 'Drive Left' custom in their
location.

Have I summarized the situation adequately? Good ... back to SUV stories.

BTW, an enterprising individual could source many of these mounts from
wrecking yards here in the USA and do a fine, if life limited, business selling them
to desperate Aussies downunder. I believe we had a similar suggestion
concerning 164 exterior door handles, which break due to high use - RH handles from
USA to GB, exchanged for LH handles from GB to USA.

Tom
Seattle
6310123
7711615