[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #968 - Work Shop Manuals

In a message dated 11/21/2003 7:45:12 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:31:10 -0600
> From: "Jon Durham" <Jon_Durham@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Gear Box Repair Guide
>
> I need a repair guide for the gear box for a 74 Spider.

       All the 105 / 115 transmissions are essentially the same.   Thus
manuals from various years will help.
       One of the best shop manuals is from Alfa in about 1968.  It has a red
and white cover.  The title is Giulia TI, Giulia Sprint GT, Giulia TI Super.
It covers the engine, clutch and gear box.  Publication number is 1008-R2
from 12/68.
       There is also an early Alfa manual covering the gearbox, differential
and suspension.  I believe the cover may be green and white.  I do not own one
to give you more details.
       The reprints of the Alfa spider manual from about 1985 has many
detailed diagrams.  The exploded diagrams on pages 13-4 and 13-5 are very good.
These are readily available from the usual sources, VickAuto.com, IAP, etc.  They
are also available on eBay.  Alfa originally published this as a loose leaf
service.  The reprints are bound, and appear to have the latest sheets from the
loose leaf service.  It is hard to tell as the issue dates of the pages are
left off in the reprints.  Some people like IAP add small advertisements of
their own to the pages.
       Alfa offered a second loose leaf manual in 1990 covering the Motronic
spiders.  It is not as commonly available in reprints.
       There are many aftermarket manuals.  The Autobook #724 is pretty good
- I always pull it to check the meaning of the F, P and M marks on the
crankshaft pulley.  The Glenn manual and the Haynes manuals are OK.  Buy them all to
get a full picture.
       The Haynes manual for the Alfetta has one of the best sections on the
Alfa four cylinder engine, but the transmission section would not work for you
at all.  I did find the Alfetta manual worked very well for the Milano
suspension.  Sort of off topic here, sorry.
       So look on eBay.  The early factory manuals show up occasionally, but
seem to sell for healthy prices.  The aftermarket manuals show up quite often
and at very good prices like $10 to $20.  The reprint of the factory Alfa
manuals are about $65 from the catalog stores.  You may find one for about $50 on
eBay.