From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Michael & Carmen Keith
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2003 9:15 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] New injector seals for 2.5 too small for hole in intake
runner

Car is an 87 Milano 2.5.  I pulled the fuel rail to have the injectors
refurbished & new hoses installed, & of course, I ordered new injector seals
while I was at it.  I suspect that the injector seals that were in there
were original to the car.  Went to start putting everything back together
this morning, & I notice that the design of the new seals is substantially
different from that of the old seals.  I figure no big deal; the design of
such a part could be expected to change with time.  The inner diameter of
the new seals fits the injector nozzles properly.

However, the outer diameter of the seals is way too small for the hole in
the intake runner.  The old seals had a tight fit inside the hole & were
specially shaped for it.  The new ones look like really thick o-rings, &
they just lay inside the hole.  The outer diameter isn't even close.  I
ordered them from a well respected Alfa supplier with whom I've never had a
problem; so I would think it odd for them to get such a common part wrong.
I guess anyone can make a mistake.  However, this is my daily driver; so I'd
prefer to get this resolved today rather than having to wait until Monday to
call the parts supplier.  Ya'll are my only hope. :-)

I don't see how these new seals could.....seal properly.  Anyone have
experience with this?  Is it not important for the injector seals to fit the
outer diameter of the hole in the intake runner?

Thanks,

Michael Keith
Houston, TX
87 Milano Gold