[alfa] anyone selling bypass restrictors?

Hi all,

Thanks for the speedy responses on the cooling issue. The suggestions that were new to me were:

- retard the timing; timing advanced beyond 30 degrees BTDC will make the engine ping and run hot
- install the bypass restrictor
- move the fan to the back / engine side of the radiator

I'm going to do the bypass restrictor first, as it seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution, and because I have yet to learn how to set timing, or to buy a timing light (however, the engine with its 10:1 pistons does ping occasionally under heavy load, so that will have to happen soon). What's more is, I like the idea of bringing the cooling system back to its original state - that thing was in there for a reason. Also, with the idea of moving the fan, I'm kind of curious how this would help - I would think that instead of blocking the air, any incoming air would make it spin even faster, helping the cooling (the problem is mainly at low speed under load, like doing 30mph uphill in the coastal hills).

So, the question is (and don't laugh at me for this), does anyone have a bypass restrictor for sale? I understand they're NLA new......in any case, I'll be trying APE and my mechanic tomorrow.

Thanks again

Chris Keen
'77 spider (10:1 pistons, 1750 cams, Quadraflows, '74 headers)
Los Altos, CA