The power steering is almost an absolute necessity for these cars. I have never driven, nor, indeed, heard of a power steeringless Milano, but if it's anything like a a GTV-6 sans power steering (and it should be since the chassis for these cars are almost identical), I wouldn't want to. A GTV-6 that has not had it's steering upgraded to a Milano power rack, can be, in my opinion, very unpleasant to drive, especially at low speed. Not only is the car hard to parallel park, but it is a real chore to drive on the road at low speed as well. It's not just the effort required either, the manual rack is really s-l-o-w. Too slow to make the car very tossable on country roads, which is a shame because the car otherwise handles so well. The power rack is much quicker. My advice is that if you have PS in your Milano, keep it. I realize that the racks can be troublesome and leak prone, but I've rarely seen a power steering unit that gives so much feedback. When I replaced my manual steering rack in my GTV-6 with a Milano power unit, the only difference I noted was that the steering required far less effort and was faster. The feel through the steering wheel changed so little that I noticed no change at all. I wished the power steering in my newish VW GTI felt as good, but alas, it's as dead as a German doorknob.

George Graves
GTV-6 3.0 'S'

On Nov 16, 2003, at 2:16 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:26:58 -0600
From: Bernie Bennett <bennetts77833@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [alfa] Milano NON-power steering conversion

Lalo,

I think the trick setup is the reverse. Add PS to a GTV6 and use a
Milano clutch too!

Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX

V. Lalo Ruiz wrote:

Has anyone removed the power steering system from a Milano and replaced it
with a non-power steering unit out of a GTV6?

If so, what are the pros/cons and snags with the conversion?

-Lalo
'88 Verde