[alfa] Spider axle removal

I have stared at my axle and searched the digest archives without revelation.
What has to be undone to let the drivers side axle pull out of the tube.
Obviously the caliper has to get out of the way. Beyond that, well, I just can't tell.
Sure there are the two screws on the outside of the rotor, but they can't have that much responsibility. Is it the four nuts on the backside of the rotor?
I do recall someone saying to put the wheel back on to assist in pulling out the shaft, just dunno what's keeping it there.

Feelin' a bit daft,

Tony Martie
'78 Spider
Dallas, TX