[alfa] Twin injectors and DARPA

Will admit I'm addressing the first part mostly to Jim Steck, but hop
right in if you have any comments.

Okay, this is all pie-in-the sky. If you're not a pie person, good time
to hit the down arrow on the right.

Was just reading about how the new Ford GT's aluminum 5.4-liter dohc
engine was brought up from a measly 380 hp to 500 hp by switching the
original roots-type supercharger for a Lysholm screw-type And two
injectors per cylinder.

Screw type make all that much difference?

Since I still consider many WWII items pretty darn high-tech forgive me
if I haven't heard of two injectors per cylinder - Twin-Inject engine?
One squirt earlier than the other, or just to inject at two different
locations? Run to my nearest Alfa Dealer and get a Montreal Spica unit
and do a little inlet manifold modifying? By also adding the Lysholm,
should be able to get an easy 185 hp on a 2-liter.

***********
DARPA:

The Dec. issue of Esquire has their pick of the Best & Brightest. Since
they started with Will Ferrell, one might have cause to go, hmmm.

Enjoyed the one on DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency)
especially. The one Iittle (literally) project they're working on is a
micro atomic clock. Seems the current ones are refrigerator size. So
they put the MEMS (microelectromechanical systems - technology) guys who
think something is only small if you can't see it with the naked eye, in

the same room with the physicists. Apparently they did it. One scary but

very cool side benefit of the project is they needed a tiny battery. So
they came up with one powered by sustained combustion of hydrocarbon
fuels.

Yeah, I read the carbon part, but prefer thinking of my new wrist watch
as being powered by a smallish hydrogen bomb.

I'm sure I must have included best and brightest on that resume I wrote
decades ago. Figure I'll be getting the call from DARPA any day now.

So in preperation and since it is supposed to have a military use,
thought I could sell My Idea by mentioning I didn't remember the WWII
tanks, trucks, jeeps breaking down all that much in North Africa. And
there sure weren't a phalanx of technicians running along behind.

Therefore, get rid of all the fancy stuff and simplify. General
Eisenhower's driver (and, ummm, friend) probably fixed the jeep, when it

broke down, with one of her bobby pins.

So My Idea (patent pending) is to make a chip sized Multi-Use Stand
Alone Sensor Module (MUSASM - also patent pending of course) with a
built in radio transmitter and receiver. And I'll just borrow that hot
little battery thank you very much. They're stuck (thinking high-tech
JB-Weld) various places on engines - carbs, fuel pumps, blocks, oil and
water pumps, etc. - and of course transmissions and differentials.

True, they're little electronic gizmos, but 'we'll' make them bullet
proof. No wires, no gotta plug in to a big machine. They'll read (open
change) heat, sound, and vibration on a simple laptop and can do so from
some distance.

None of this little piddly ass atomic clock in a smart bomb (my guess as

to where they're headed). "Let's see, I'm to go down these stairs, turn
right at the fourth hallway, then left at the next, and it'll be the
seventh door on the right. Oh my god, I'm one millionth of nanosecond
behind schedule!"

No sir, My Idea won't fix the vehicles but will pinpoint where to dig in

and either replace or make a quick roadside repair. The receiving part
of the built in radio only turns the module off and on.

Since they also consider what the eventual civilian uses will be, figure

everyone here would want their very own Alfa Analysis Kit (AAK - yes of
course p.p.) wouldn't they?

Biba
(Still trying to find the source of my intermittent miss)
Irwindale, CA USA