Re: [alfa] Twin injectors and DARPA

Staged injection is very common in forced induction.   It's usually done in a speed/density system with MAP reference to change the pulse width of the injectors.   In many DIY applications, the MAP VE is set to zero for the lower half of the table for the second set of injectors and kick in when the MAP goes positive.

As to a previous comment about atomization, large injectors atomize well if positioned correctly.  Usually pointed directly at the valve.   The problem with using small injectors over large is the flyback voltage and heat generated for the large PWM they need, even in a staged environment.  Large injectors squirt more fuel in a shorter period of time.   Too large injectors cause issues not being open long enough causing the fuel to dribble rather than spray out.

Your idea of a Montreal SPICA isn't practical as it has no manifold compensation for fuel delivery.  Spica is a mechanical version of an alpha/N system that only references throttle position and RPM for delivery with thero and baro compensation.  There's no plenum reference as in a speed/density or mass/air system.

If you were seriously going to make the jump, you would have your SPICA manifold machined to accept Bosch style injectors and hook a programmable to it, or use the Weber manifold with the TWM ITB's that has everything you need.  The SPICA manifold is a better deal because you can take MAP and ECT from existing chambers where the TWM's would be alpha/N with TPS sweep reference.

This can be done at a reasonable cost.  See the Jim Kartalamakis book on throttle conversion techniques using TWM and modified SPICA manifolds.

Another ITB option commonly being used are Suzuki GSXR throttles adapted to the Weber manidold.  There are a couple of Alfa's running this setup.  One turbocharged in Sweden or Holland I think it is.

-Peter