[alfa] evaluating an engine you can't start

Last post tonight, I swear.

I've acquired a spare engine that's in unknown condition, and I can't start it out of the car for lack of a spare wiring harness. I do, however, have a spare starter, so I was thinking that I could spin it on the starter and listen for irregular noises. The engine in question is a 12V 2.5L V6, by the way. I figure I could also turn it by hand and "feel" any irregularities as it turns over. Has anyone on the digest been in this situation before and have any words of wisdom to share? I plan on installing a new water pump, t-belt, and tensioner bearing before putting it in the car, but I'd rather spare the expense if the engine is useless. What can I learn from taking the lower oil pan off and inspecting things? Would it make sense to remove con rod bearing caps to look at the bearing surfaces? I'll do a compression test when I spin it with my spare starter, but what about a leakdown test? What will that tell me? Would it be worthwhile to fill it with water and spin the water pump with an electric motor to see if any water finds its way into the oil? (I suppose I could even do the same with the oil pump on this engine.)

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6