[alfa] oil consumption

Can anyone provide any pointers on determining whether oil smoke in the exhaust is coming from ring blowby, or leaky valve guides, or both (or anything else that might introduce oil into the combustion chamber)? I'm contemplating some sort of partial rebuild on my GTV-6 engine, and I'd like to know what's causing the worst of the oil consumption, and target that specifically.

I plan on performing another compression test (last one, a couple years ago, showed fine compression). I understand that the compression can be fine and still have an oil control issue. I'd like to learn as much as possible before tearing the engine down. What exactly is a leak-down test? Is that something I should invest in?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6